Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Change: It's a-comin'

I've been seeing and reading a lot of interesting things lately about foods.  I am a big foodie and, as such, was really fascinated by it all.  I've also been trying to eat healthier since Sky has a cholesterol problem and we're both overweight.  I've been adding more fruits, vegetables and whole-grains to our diet and I've stopped getting red meat.  I have decided that we are now going to try going vegetarian or, at least, mostly vegetarian.  And, when we DO eat meat, I'm going to splurge and buy free-range, grass fed beef and grain fed chicken.  I really have no desire to consume all the hormones and anti-biotics that they give to those animals to make them grow faster.  Also, I have all but given up on drinking milk (not just because I'm lactose intolerant) because it is disgusting what is homogenized into it.  Sterile or not, it's still gross and I am, after-all, a germaphobe. :D

Also, I am trying to only buy food that is actual food.  There was a guy on Oprah a few weeks ago talking about how we shouldn't eat food that out great grandmother wouldn't recognize.  I think that is a wonderful idea.  So much of packaged and processed food is filled with salt, sugar and fat and I have no need for that in my diet.  Buying fresh or frozen produce is also much better than canned because they can't add salt to fresh food!

In addition to this food revolution, I have been working out to Tae Bo, to get into shape.  My goal is to be back to the weight I was on my wedding day by my Anniversary next May.  I think this new diet (way of life) is going to make that easy as pie.

My dinner recipes for this week are: whole-grain spaghetti with mushroom sauce, bean burritos (home made with whole grain tortillas), french onion soup, tofu-veggie stir fry over brown rice and home made pizza with olives and red peppers.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Hey, Jennifer. I stalked over here from Facebook. :) This is something I've been researching a lot the last few months. We have also cut WAY back on meat and dairy.

Some things I've read lately: Fast Food Nation, or if you want to skip the long read, a lot of the same information is in the documentary Food, Inc. (Check the library for a copy.) Another good read: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver.

If you have any other books on the subject I would be very interested to hear about it!

Joanna Moody